Hims is an online healthcare provider for men and it promises to take the doctor’s visit completely to the Internet. Hims got started after CEO Andrew Dudum’s 24-year-old sister confronted him in 2016 about his neglected health. After spending hundreds of dollars on acne and skin cream, Dudum decided to start his own company to help men take charge of their health.
At Hims, men can now receive a complete doctor’s consultation and even a prescription (if warranted and needed), entirely online. Medical services at Hims have been aimed at sexual health, hair loss, skin care, and other concerns that are important to men as they age, but now Hims is expanding into primary care telemedicine as well as online therapy.
Can Hims replace traditional doctor’s visits with an online experience? Does Hims provide a satisfying service that will lead to improved health for men? And how do the costs compare? We thoroughly tested Hims to give you a breakdown of pros, cons and everything you can expect.
- Convenience - The entire health care experience is online.
- No waiting - Your online visit begins as soon as you sign up.
- Quality care - All Hims doctors are licensed to practice medicine in the U.S. and are Board-certified across many medical specialties.
- Low cost - Depending on the care and products, you might save 50-80% of what you’d spend pursuing traditional doctor’s visits and prescriptions… and shipping is free.
- Privacy matters - Your personal medical data is encrypted and never shared.
- Now offers an at-home COVID-19 saliva test – more details below
- Insurance coverage will vary depending on the prescription and plan.
- Most non-prescription treatments will take self-guided research. In some cases an in-person doctor’s visit may be better to explore non-prescription treatment options.
Overall, Hims is a great solution for many men who want to take charge of their healthcare. While some may want to stay with a traditional in-person visit, many men will find it to be a convenient and low-fuss way to get the treatment and medication they want or need. From our testing, we had prescribed medicine arrive within days of our free online doctor’s visit.
Hims provides fast, convenient online healthcare aimed at sexual health, preventing hair loss, skin care, and general health and wellness.
Hims is one of the leading online healthcare services for men. Now licensed in all 50 states, Hims gets high marks for doctor quality, privacy and convenience. *Prescription products require a consultation with a physician who will determine if prescription is appropriate.
For our quick video review of the Hims online doctors visit, watch here:
Innerbody recently celebrated its 20-year anniversary online. Over the past two decades, we have helped tens of millions of readers make more informed decisions involving staying healthy and living healthier lifestyles.
This review, like all medical-related content on this website, was thoroughly vetted by one or more members of our Medical Review Board for medical accuracy. Additionally we extensively test, experience and order from each medical service we review. We try our best to give you, our readers, unbiased, marketing-jargon-free descriptions of all the at-home health services evaluated based on the latest scientific evidence and medical standards.
Hims was founded by self-described “real guys” who noticed that men can be “allergic” to doctors. Hims aims to remove friction from the healthcare process and allow men to directly solve their problems with products that work. This saves time, money, and potential embarrassment of a doctor’s appointment.
By streamlining the process of receiving good medical attention for a variety of health concerns, prices are purported to be less than 25 percent of what one might pay with a traditional doctor and pharmacy.
In our testing, we find that Hims is indeed easy to use. Here’s how it begins.
Profile and questionnaire
Using the site begins with creating a profile. This means answering routine questions that would be asked by a doctor, including questions about symptoms and medical history. During the initial medical questionnaire, you will be required to provide a photo of your ID, a recent selfie, and eventually a credit card to order prescriptions or products. For certain services, you will need access to the results of recent medical exams, such as your blood pressure within the last 6 months.
Get matched with a doctor for consultation
After your online medical questionnaire is complete, you chat with a qualified physician who is able to talk about potential treatments for your particular ailments. We found it to be convenient and fast; we were matched with a physician in as little as one minute after our consultation. After the doctor has accurately diagnosed your medical issue, and you agree to a treatment plan, your prescription (if appropriate) is shipped directly to your door.
Here’s an example of what products might be offered (Hims Hair Treatment Options) following an online doctors visit:
Your shipment arrives
The medications and dosages come highly protected in discreet packaging, individually wrapped or in a bottle.
The entire Hims process can be done from the privacy of your home and works well on your phone. It effectively accomplishes the same thing as visiting a doctor in many cases, but in a fraction of the time.
Hims currently addresses 5 different health care areas for men:
- Hair loss
- Sexual health, including erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation
- Skin care
- Cold sores and oral herpes
- General health and well-being, including preventative care
Hims also now offers an at-home COVID-19 saliva test.
Hair loss treatment is aimed at helping men with a receding hairline or a balding head. The research shows that the only proven way to keep your hair is to do something while you still have some hair left. Hims has a variety of prescription and non-prescription treatments to be used individually or in combination.
The Hair Power Pack is a treatment that combines FDA-approved Finasteride along with topical Minoxidil (also known as it’s brand name Rogaine), hair growth shampoo and multivitamins. This prescription strength treatment option combines the best of what research has shown can prevent hair loss. The doctor’s consultation to receive the prescription is entirely online and free. Hims also offers a non-prescription kit, which helps promote healthy hair, as well.
Hims shampoo, Shampoo+, is formulated with saw palmetto to help reduce the levels of DHT on the scalp. This shampoo can be purchased individually and is a compelling option for men concerned about balding, since DHT is the hormone responsible for hair loss. The conditioner is similar, as it aims to complement the DHT-blocking shampoo while providing a great clean wash.
Minoxidil (Rogaine) is also available individually. It is a topical solution that can help prevent hair loss if it is applied once or twice per day. Biotin, a vitamin known to support thicker hair, is also available in gummy form.
All Hims hair loss products can be purchased together as a bundle in the Complete Hair Kit.
We covered the most popular Hims hair loss products here, but there are several others along with some package deals. Check out the Hims website to learn more.
Sexual performance is treated by Hims with an array of medications, many available for a fraction of the price you would pay via traditional routes.
- Sildenafil (a generic form of Viagra) is an FDA-approved medication to treat Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
- Tadalafil (generic Cialis, one of the best treatments for ED available) is more expensive than Sildenafil, but can help maintain erections with a simple daily dosage and is still more affordable than the brand name Cialis.
- The quicker acting Stendra (avanafil) tablets can work in as little as 15 min for many men and are also sold by Hims.
- Of course, the most well known Viagra (sildenafil citrate) tablets are available as well. Viagra is the most expensive, but the proven track record of Viagra holds great appeal for many.
In the world of male sexual health, getting an erection isn’t always the problem, but instead premature ejaculation is the issue. The great news is, Hims has that covered as well, just as conveniently.
Premature ejaculation can be addressed with a couple different Hims treatments, either separately or in combination.
- Sertraline (the active ingredient in Zoloft), is a pill-based Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) that has shown to be effective in delaying orgasm for some men.
- Hims has created a premature ejaculation spray that is lidocaine based. It reduces some of the sensitivity that can lead to premature ejaculation without transferring anything to a partner.
- The Hims PEJ Kit is a treatment that combines both the spray and Sertraline together.
As men age, so does their skin. Among the products Hims offers are anti-aging creams, acne creams, morning glow Vitamin C serum, goodnight wrinkle cream, everyday moisturizer, and a complete anti-aging set.
- Acne creams help stop acne and decrease the inflammation that results from it, while also renewing the skin’s surface. Hims’ Acne Cream is the stand-out product of its skin care offerings, in our view. Because you get a free online doctor’s visit, its creams are prescription-strength, meaning you get retinoids and antibiotics that are stronger and more effective at controlling acne than what you can get over the counter.
- Hims’ Anti-Aging Cream helps with the reduction of fine lines, while also helping to make the skin appear firmer.
- Hims’ Goodnight Wrinkle Cream is formulated with the addition of caffeine, which keeps the skin regenerating while the body sleeps. Don’t worry, it doesn’t keep you awake
- Him’s Everyday Moisturizer product is self-explanatory, but its effects are not — it also helps keep the skin from getting oily during the day.
- Lastly, Hims offers a package deal called the Anti-Aging Set which is basically the Anti-Aging Cream and the Goodnight Wrinkle Cream sold together, saving you around $12 total.
Overall health and well-being services
The well-being products available on Hims are important for maintaining overall health and improving your chances of preventing colds that can happen to everyone. Here are some popular products:
- Collagen powder aids in muscle recovery while also helping the skin remain youthful.
- Heart Gummy Vitamins are designed to help cardiovascular functioning and the overall performance of the heart.
- Immunity Gummy Vitamins claim to help fend off colds and flu with a complex solution of vitamins and minerals that boost immunity.
- If you have problems sleeping, Hims has that covered to, with Sleep Gummy Vitamins that claim to help ensure a full and restful night’s sleep.
- Propranolol is a beta-blocker available at Hims that will help with performance anxiety or other anxiety-related issues. It is only available by prescription.
- The biotin gummy vitamin helps grow thicker hair, stronger nails and promotes healthier, youthful skin.
Cold sores and oral herpes
Hims also offers treatment for cold sores, aptly called the Cold Sores Kit. Cold sores can be embarrassing when they flare up, but after a free online doctor’s consultation, Hims can prescribe the leading FDA-approved drug to suppress outbreaks. Valacyclovir Valacyclovir is an antiviral suppressive approved by the FDA to treat Herpes Simplex, also known as HSV-1. Unlike creams that are available over the counter, Valacyclovir is a pill form treatment known to provide relief that works in 24 hours.
Hims at-home COVID-19 test
Hims is now offering an at-home COVID-19 saliva test, designed by RUCDR Infinite Biologics (which is associated with Rutgers University), shortly after the FDA gave RUCDR emergency-use authorization for it to become available.
Hims will now begin offering 2,000 kits per day. At $150 per kit, these tests are not cheap, but considering that COVID-19 is very dangerous to you and to loved ones or anyone with whom you may interact, the price seems well worth it. Here’s the price breakdown:
- $80 to RUCDR
- $20 for medical consultation and testing service
- $50 for expedited shipping
No swab is necessary for this test – all you have to do is spit into a tube. For anyone who has ever experienced a nasopharyngeal swab test, this is good news.
The test only works for those who are symptomatic. This means it will not work for the possibly 80% of those who are infected, because many people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic (yet can still spread the virus).
But this is a significant development.
- Testing at home reduces everyone’s possible risk of exposure to COVID-19. When testing traditionally, both the test-taker and the person administering a test are at risk of exposure, along with everyone who encounters the sick individual en route to a testing facility.
- This saliva test seems more accurate than at-home swab tests.
- Saliva tests don’t require certain materials like swabs that are in short supply.
For those who are experiencing symptoms that may be COVID-19, here are the steps to order your test from Hims:
Go to the Hims COVID-19 test page and click to order your test. This initiates a ‘consultation’.
Complete a consultation. In this step you will share information about your symptoms and recent travel history.
A doctor reviews your information. The doctor will decide if you are a suitable candidate for testing right now. Often this process requires no interaction between you and the reviewing doctor, but in some states the consultation will have to include a live video chat.
If approved, take the test. Your test would be shipped expedited to you. Simply follow the instructions to spit into the tube, and then mail it back.
You’ll have results in 2 days.
Evidence so far indicates that the rate of false negatives is lower for these saliva tests of symptomatic people, compared to at-home swab testing – which is great news. This could be because operator error is reduced when the test is simply a matter of spitting into a tube, as opposed to swabbing correctly in tender areas. Evidence suggests false positives were negligible.
COVID-19 testing has been notorious for producing what are called “false negative” results – people testing negative even though they actually have been infected. Hims acknowledges that false negatives are possible with these tests, as with all of the available tests.
But this certainly does not mean COVID-19 testing isn’t valuable. It’s absolutely essential that we ramp up testing. A positive test result is very helpful because it is reliable and can help us all prevent exposing others. We can slow and eventually stop the spread.
For many Hims customers, it may be their first experience with an online healthcare service or “telemedicine” company. As a Hims customer, you do not actually “speak” to a doctor. There is no video chat or phone call. But each treatment plan, if it involves a prescription, is reviewed by a real doctor. Here’s how it works:
- Complete a relevant online questionnaire about your health
- Review treatment options
- Review options and select a recommended treatment
- Chat with a doctor who reviews your treatment. As Hims describes in their support FAQs : “Every order that requires a prescription is reviewed by a doctor.” You are able to message with a doctor using their secure messaging system.
- Pay with a credit card and have your treatment shipped in the mail. There are differences in your questionnaire based on what medical need brings you to Hims – for instance, hair loss questions are different than sexual health – but the overall process is similar across treatments.
Overall, Hims is a great new healthcare provider for men to treat a variety of common medical issues. For busy men who want to avoid the time, embarrassment or headache of an in-person medical visit, Hims is a massive upgrade to the status quo.
As many men will neglect their health by avoiding doctor’s offices, Hims has a real shot at empowering men to take greater control of their healthcare with a streamlined online visit. For these men, Hims offers a service that can truly improve men’s overall health..
We customize our evaluation criteria depending on the type and nature of the health-related service. For most online healthcare services, we have five areas that we use for our evaluations, including:
Quality: Are the doctors on the service licensed to practice in the US? Are the physicians board-certified in the relevant practice areas? Do they have a high quality medical review board with oversight? Are their treatment options FDA-approved?
Value: Are you getting your money’s worth? Are there any hidden costs or charges? Does the test provider offer discounts or free services to our readers?
Customer support: How well does the healthcare provider help you choose the best treatment? How clearly are the options presented? How well does the healthcare company help you understand options and get treatment if necessary?
Privacy: Are all treatments sent in discreet packaging? Will your data be stored securely? Could your data ever be shared without your permission?
Speed: How fast will you receive your treatment from the moment you click “buy?” Are doctors and medical professionals responsive to your questions and needs when you are messaging them? Are the waiting times stated by the company accurate and consistent?
Insurance coverage will vary depending on the prescription and plan. Hims branded products, including vitamins, supplements and teas, will not be covered under insurance. However, Hims branded products are priced at 50-80% off retail cost, making them more affordable than alternatives for many consumers.
Personal medical data is encrypted and never shared according to Hims policies. All data is 256 bit SSL/TLS encrypted in motion and at rest and fulfills SOC2 security requirements.
Men should know that when they are using Hims, many of the products are sold in a subscription service. For example, candidates for erectile dysfunction prescriptions will buy a recurring monthly subscription to the medication, based on the dosage that is right for them after consultation with a doctor.
Subscription plans range in length from one-month plans to three-month plans to 6-month plans or longer. Many men find it most convenient to have their treatments shipped to their home on autopilot, with the ability to cancel anytime. However, those who are not good at managing subscriptions may want to sign up for a short-term plan to try the product, and then either continue or cancel.