There are many reasons to turn to protein powders and nutrient shakes beyond weight loss or muscle development. Perhaps you’re a vegan who wants to enhance your nutrition or a busy mom with little time for lunch. Maybe you’re struggling with illness and unable to stomach solid foods. For these and many other situations, protein powders and nutrient shakes might be your ideal solution.
However, when buying protein or nutrient supplements, there are several factors to take into account. How healthy is the product? What ingredients does it contain? Is it sugary or high in fat?
Orgain is a highly rated company in the supplement market, but how does it stand apart from its competitors? We’ve thoroughly tested Orgain’s spectrum of organic protein and nutrient products based on several factors, including taste, quality of ingredients, cost, and levels of proteins and nutrients provided. Read our breakdown below to learn all the details on how Orgain stands up and whether it may be right for you.
- High-quality ingredients and no artificial preservatives
- Great taste and a variety of flavors available
- Features a wide range of products suitable for many diets and nutritional needs
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Powders are not gritty or sandy
- Free shipping on subscription orders
- Subscribe & Save option saves 20% on your initial order and 10% on subsequent installments
- Healthy options for kids
- For first-time buyers, save 20% on your order by signing up for Orgain’s newsletter
- May cause digestive discomfort for some
- Pricier than some similar brands
- Higher in carbs than most protein powders
Our team at Innerbody Research recommends Orgain, concluding that it sets a very high bar for nutritional powders and drinks. Many people looking for a convenient and healthy solution to reach their wellness goals or boost their nutrition could benefit from Orgain’s products. Medical professionals developed these clean, tasty, and high-quality supplements based on science and years of experimentation. You can trust that the company uses only healthful ingredients. If you have the budget and don’t mind slightly more carbs than alternatives, we believe Orgain will serve you well.
Orgain’s protein powders and meal replacements are a cut above the competition in quality.
With free shipping, a satisfaction guarantee, and two different ways to save 20% on your first purchase, trying Orgain will make good sense for many people who want to ensure balanced nutrition or need tasty ways to replace meals.
Innerbody Research recently celebrated its 20-year anniversary online. Over the past two decades, we have helped tens of millions of readers make more informed decisions involving staying healthy and living healthier lifestyles.
We extensively test each health service we review. We try our best to give you, our readers, an unbiased exploration of at-home health services, free of marketing jargon or gimmicks. We evaluate the service based on our adherence to quality, the latest medical evidence and health standards, and a simple question: would we buy the product or service ourselves if it weren’t part of our job, and would we recommend it to family and friends?
Additionally, this review of Orgain, like all health-related content on this website, was thoroughly vetted by one or more members of our Medical Review Board for accuracy.
Integrative medicine specialist and cancer survivor Dr. Andrew Abraham created Orgain in 2009. Dr. Abraham had experienced firsthand the struggle with getting proper nutrition as a cancer patient in his teens.
Unable to eat solid foods due to weakness from chemotherapy, Abraham drank protein shakes as advised by his doctor. However, upon examining the ingredients of these products, he saw just how unhealthy they were. For the remainder of his cancer treatment, Abraham would experiment and create his own shakes from natural, food-based ingredients.
Years later, after completing his medical training, Dr. Abraham created Orgain to develop an organic and nutritious drink that filled this market gap.
At the center of Orgain’s ethos is creating products that provide clean, food-based nutrition. The majority of its products are Certified Organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, and without artificial flavoring, colors, or preservatives. Orgain achieves this goal by using only the highest-quality ingredients to create unique and nutritious blends that improve people’s health while tasting great.
How do Orgain products work?
Meal replacements and nutritional powders, drinks, and bars enable people to get the nutrition they need quickly and conveniently. These products can help with weight loss, fighting illness, increasing strength, or ensuring you maximize your nutrition despite a hectic and busy lifestyle.
You can purchase Orgain products at health food stores, pharmacies, big-box stores, and online retailers. However, if you buy directly from the Orgain website, you can enroll in the Subscribe & Save option for discounted prices.
How you use Orgain’s products depends on your dietary and lifestyle needs. If you’re on the run and want something quick to fill the gap between meals, the pre-made drinks and protein bars are an easy bet. If you’d like more variety in how to consume your protein, the powders offer several options:
- Shake it up: Add the directed scoops of protein powder to water, almond milk, or the beverage of your choice. Shake and drink. Orgain’s powders blend smoothly and are not chalky or grainy like some brands.
- Blend: Combine your protein powder with fruit, ice, and almond milk in the blender for a healthy, frosty shake.
- Mix with oatmeal, coffee, or tea: You can also blend protein powders with oatmeal, coffee, or tea to give you a healthier and heartier breakfast.
- Recipes: On the Orgain website, you’ll find several recipes to make with different protein powders.
Orgain sells a wide range of products for many specialized diets, including vegan, keto, paleo, and gluten-free. Most products are available in several flavors, including Chocolate, Vanilla, Creamy Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter, Natural Unsweetened, and a seasonal Peppermint Hot Cocoa.
Orgain’s products comprise five categories:
How much does Orgain cost?
Orgain offers many products with different ingredients, flavors, and sizes. You can easily find what you are looking for within your price range.
Nutritional powders range from roughly $19.99 - $35.99 for a 1 lb. canister. Orgain shakes cost around $2 - $3 per shake, and its protein bars cost less than $2 per bar. These prices are all for one-off purchases, but you’ll find additional discounts and offers on the Orgain website.
Subscribe & Save
Orgain’s Subscribe & Save plan offers 20% off your first subscription and 10% off all subsequent orders, plus free shipping. Once you’ve subscribed to your product, you will automatically receive your order at the delivery frequency you have chosen. This scheme allows loyal customers to save money on their favorite products.
Orgain’s powders increase your protein intake or act as meal replacements, with additional nutrition from greens, superfoods, and supplements, depending on the product. Now, if you’re a new customer, you can get 25% off Orgain’s protein shake bundle, making it cost much less to give them a try.
Vegan Protein Powders
Orgain offers several different formulas of popular plant-based protein powders in a variety of flavors. These vegan options are also gluten-free, kosher, non-GMO, and USDA Organic.
Orgain’s Organic Protein Plant Based Protein Powder is one of the top-sellers for vegans and vegetarians. One serving provides up to 21g of vegan protein and 150 calories.
This recipe uses a blend of plant-based proteins to make it a complete protein source. Compared with other organic vegan protein supplements, Orgain stands as one of the most affordable quality brands on the market.
Organic Protein & Superfoods Plant Based Protein Powder is also highly popular. This powder adds nutrition from 50 superfoods, including turmeric, flax, acai, and more, supporting the immune system with an extra boost of vitamins and minerals.
Grass Fed Whey Protein
Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder comprises up to 21g of grass-fed protein and 140 calories. It is kosher, non-GMO, made without additives or preservatives, and contains no soy or gluten.
Orgain’s nutritional powders provide extra vitamins and minerals when you’re using supplements as meal replacements. Here is the breakdown of two top-sellers from this category:
Organic Protein & Greens Plant Based Protein Powder
In addition to 21g of plant protein, this provides 1/2 cup of kale and 15 spinach leaves. It’s also kosher, vegan, USDA Organic, non-GMO, and made without gluten, soy, or added sugar.
Organic Meal Powder
Another plant-based supplement, this delivers up to 20g of protein and 6 - 7g of fiber in each serving. It is vegan, kosher, USDA Organic, non-GMO, and made without gluten, soy, or added sugar.
Orgain offers a few products providing collagen peptides to support hair, skin, nail, and joint health. These products are not suitable for a vegan diet, but they are non-dairy.
Grass Fed Pasture Raised Collagen Peptides
Odorless and tasteless, these mix into any cold or hot liquid. The product contains no gluten, added sugar, soy, dairy, or lactose ingredients. You can purchase collagen peptides in bulk powder containers or in a 25-stick pack for taking it on-the-go.
Collagen Zero Protein Powder
This powder is flavored, unlike the Collagen Peptides Powder. There is no added sugar, however, and each serving is just 90 calories.
Keto Protein Powders
Orgain offers two products aimed at those following the keto diet:
- Keto Collagen Protein Powder provides a 2:1 ratio of protein to fat in each serving. It comprises Type I and III collagens derived from coconuts, which break down quickly in the body for a fast energy source. A one-scoop serving equals 90 calories and 5g of fat.
- Keto Plant Protein Organic Keto-genic Protein Powder is the first-ever Certified Organic, plant-based keto protein supplement. This powder provides 10g of protein and 13 - 14g of organic fat per serving.
Orgain offers three powders aimed at athletes and those seeking to develop muscle tone. These products support muscle recovery and growth, reduce soreness, and boost your energy.
- Sport Protein Organic Plant Based Powder serves up 30g of protein, 5g of branch chain amino acids (BCAAs), and 3g of net carbs. Its blend of plant-based ingredients includes tart cherry, fermented turmeric, and ginger.
- Sport Recovery Organic Plant Based Powder is another vegan option aimed at replenishing sore muscles. It incorporates anti-inflammatory ingredients, such as organic acacia, amla fruit, and monk fruit. A one-scoop serving contains just 20 calories and 9g of total carbohydrates.
- Sport Energy Organic Plant Based Powder boosts your energy with electrolytes, adaptogens, and 80mg of caffeine. It is also high in Vitamin C from organic amla fruit.
Orgain offers protein and nutrient shakes in pre-blended packages for single use. You can purchase these shakes individually or in cases of 12 on the website. It also sells a line of organic almond milk.
- The 20g Clean Protein Shake supplies 20g of grass-fed protein, 130 calories, and 11g of carbohydrates.
- The Organic Nutrition Shake provides 16g of grass-fed protein, 21 vitamins and minerals, and organic fruits and vegetables. It is an excellent choice for a meal replacement or snack with 250 calories, 7g of total fat, and 32g of carbohydrates.
- Orgain’s Almond Milk contains 10g of plant protein per serving and comes in Unsweetened Vanilla or Lightly Sweetened Vanilla flavors.
Orgain offers a couple popular products for the pantry:
- Orgain’s Organic MCT Oil, derived from 100% organic coconuts, is flavorless, odorless, and adds a boost of energy when mixed with food or drinks.
- The Orgain Protein Pancake & Waffle Mix comes in three varieties, including Whole Wheat and Oat, Gluten Free, and 50 Superfoods.
Orgain’s Organic Protein Bars come in five flavors, including Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk, and S’Mores. These vegan protein bars serve up to 160 calories, 10g of plant-based protein, and 3g of fiber.
The company also sells a nutritional bar just for kids.
Orgain’s kids products plant-based and grass-fed nutrition shakes and a snack bar in several flavors. The shakes come in 8 oz. individual containers, perfect for school or a snack on the go.
- The Kids Protein Organic Nutrition Shake provides 8g of grass-fed milk and wheat protein and 26 vitamins and minerals in each serving. These shakes are appropriate for children ages two and up.
- The Kids Organic Plant Protein Nutritional Shake provides 8g of organic, plant-based protein, 23 vitamins and minerals, and 3g of organic fiber.
- The Organic Kids O-Bar is 1.27 oz. and contains 40-55% less sugar than competitors’ brands. The whole-grain bars have 130 calories, 4g of fat, 2g of protein, and 25g of total carbohydrates.
While you can purchase Orgain products through several retailers, we recommend shopping on its easy-to-navigate website. Purchasing directly also allows you to access the Subscribe & Save option for more significant savings.
Browse the website. Orgain’s website showcases an extensive selection of nutritional products to suit various goals and dietary needs. You can filter these products by protein sources, nutritional needs, or types of products.
Make your selection(s). When you look at each product, you’ll see the options for a one-time purchase or the Subscribe & Save option. If you choose Subscribe & Save, you’ll get 20% off your first order and 10% off subsequent installments. For this option, select your frequency for deliveries and continue to the checkout.
Proceed to checkout. Enter your contact information and shipping address. Based on what method you choose, Orgain will estimate shipping and handling costs before payment. Note that shipping is free with Subscribe & Save orders.
Make your payment. Orgain accepts all major credit cards, PayPal, and Afterpay, a payments service.
Await shipping. Orgain uses FedEx Standard Ground and FedEx SmartPost for shipping, with packages arriving in approximately 2 - 7 business days. Orgain does not offer expedited shipping services.
Try out your product(s). Orgain’s products are easy to use. Follow the simple instructions for mixing your protein powders as shakes, smoothies, or food additives. Orgain also features a range of recipes incorporating its products on the website.
Evaluate your satisfaction. Orgain offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with your product, submit a return request through the website and ship back your order. Orgain will reimburse you via your original payment method.
Await more installments (if using Subscribe & Save). Orgain will email you three days before your next charges on your subscription, allowing you to make any modifications or cancellations to your order.
At Innerbody Research, we customize our evaluation criteria depending on the type and nature of the health-related service. For Orgain and other health products and services, we have five areas that we use for our evaluations, including:
Quality: How well does the company deliver its core service(s) to the customer? For testing services, does the company adhere to the latest and most advanced testing technologies and achieve a very high degree of accuracy? For non-testing telehealth services, is the quality of the service high enough that we would recommend it to loved ones without hesitation? If not, why not?
User-friendly: How intuitive and user-friendly is the service? Does the device, program, app, or website achieve a good degree of user-friendliness for its customers?
Value: Are you getting your money’s worth? Are there any hidden costs or charges? Does the company offer discounts?
Privacy: If health data is stored, will your data be stored securely? Are payments secure?
Customer support: Particularly in situations where ‘one size fits all’ doesn’t make sense, how well does the company help to make the service ideal for you?